Resources for Health Professionals
Essential Reference Texts
- Field V, Ford L, Hill DR. Health Information for Overseas Travel. National Travel Health Network and Centre, London, UK, 2010. www.nathnac.org/yellow_book/YBmainpage.htm
- Immunisation Against Infectious Diseases (2006). Department of Health (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation); HMSO.
- International Travel and Health (2011). World Health Organization (WHO); HMSO. www.who.int/ith/en
- Health Information for International Travel (2012). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); Elsevier Mosby. http://www.cdc.gov/yellowbook
- Chiodini P, Hill D, Lalloo D, Lea G, Walker E, Whitty C, Bannister B. Guidelines for malaria prevention in travellers from the United Kingdom. London, Health Protection Agency, January 2007. http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/
- Malaria prophylaxis for long-term travellers. Commun Dis Public Health 2003; 6 (3): 200-208. www.hpa.org.uk/cdph/issues/CDPHvol6/No3/6(3)p200-208.pdf
- Faculty of Travel Medicine: Recommendations for the practice of travel medicine
- Travel health nursing: career and competence development. RCN Guidance
- General Practitioner Committee: Focus on travel immunisations http://www.bma.org.uk/health_promotion_ethics/
- General Practitioner Committee: Focus on hepatitis B immunisation
- British National Formulary www.bnf.org/bnf/
- British HIV Association Immunisation guidelines
- Resuscitation Council (UK) Resuscitation guidelines 2010
- Resuscitation Council (UK) Emergency treatment of anaphylactic reactions
- World Atlas
- www.hpa.org.uk - official advice on communicable disease and other health hazards in the UK, including communicable disease record (CDR) weekly update.
- www.dh.gov.uk - official health advice including that for travel and updated chapters of the “Green Book”.
- www.travax.nhs.uk - a Health Protection Scotland database of travel health information including country listings for professionals who subscribe.
- www.who.int/en - a large international database covering all aspects of travel health including the weekly epidemiological record (WER) and outbreak news.
- www.cdc.gov/travel - official travel health advice from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- www.fco.gov.uk/en - official advice regarding security issues for travellers.
- www.epinorth.org - a co-operation project for communicable disease control in northern Europe
- www.iamat.org - IAMAT members (registration is free) have access to a searchable database of English speaking doctors throughout the world who have an interest in travel medicine and have committed to assist travellers in need of medical care.
Please note that NaTHNaC do not endorse the listed doctors and clinics and take no responsibility for any medical treatment provided.
Malaria epidemiology, surveillance, and drug resistance
- Worldwide Antimalarial Resistance Network (WWARN)
- World Health Organization - World Malaria Report 2011
Advice Lines for Health Professionals
- National Travel Health Network and Centre - 0845 602 6712
- TRAVAX (available to subscribers only) - 0141 300 1130
Travel Health Associations